Having a new baby is an amazing experience, but it is also a very tough job. If you are a first time mom who has given birth recently, you must know how stressful it is becoming a mom.
Being a new mom means you are always busy and often very sleep-deprived. You barely have any time to take care of your self. All of this takes a toll on your body and even on your skin – dull and dry skin, dark circles, pigmentation. These changes are due to the physical, emotional, hormonal and lifestyle changes that come with being a new mom.
No matter what the cause, if the arrival of your baby has brought with it a slew of pregnancy related skin issues, I’m here to help!
Here are some simple beauty tips and tricks that can help your skin look and feel good again, post pregnancy.
- Get as much sleep as you can, whenever you can. With a newborn, a good night’s sleep is practically impossible. So make sure you get some sleep whenever you can. There will always be chores, but just remember to prioritize. Proper sleep will not only make your skin healthy, but will help you feel relaxed and refreshed too.
- Wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser to keep it free from excess oils. This will help wash away dirt and oil that accumulate in your pores and cause breakouts.
- If you have dry skin, use an aqueous moisturizer after washing your face.
- Drink at least 2 litres of water a day. This will help hydrate your skin and also helps flush toxins out of your body, thus making your skin glow.
- Eat a healthy diet. Stay away from sugary food, rich greasy food, processed foods and junk food. Increase intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and green leafy vegetables, for ex. Spinach, cabbage, beetroot, carrots etc. These are rich in minerals, nutrients and antioxidants that are essential for a healthy skin.
- Make time to exercise. Exercise helps to tone the skin by improving circulation and oxygenation of the skin. In addition it helps removal of toxins through perspiration. Yoga is a great way to get back your glow.
- Be happy and stress free. I know, it can get pretty stressful, but do remember to relax and enjoy this phase. It gets easier with time and the stress is not going to do you or your baby any good! In addition, it takes a toll on your skin. So, be happy and keep away from all negativity and enjoy these moments with your precious little bundle of joy.
Tips to deal with common skin problems after pregnancy
Stretch marks are an inevitable part of pregnancy and although many moms wear them proudly, they can sometimes put a damper on your confidence. While stretch marks do lighten with time, there are some things you can do to help speed things along.
- Coconut Oil is known to have several healing properties and daily application of coconut oil onto your stretch marks could help lighten stretch marks.
- Regular use of Shea Butter helps improve the appearance and texture of your skin as it heals. It contains essential fatty acids and vitamins that boost collagen production and support healing and moisturizing.
- Apply fresh alovera gel from a plant onto your stretch marks after a shower. Although there is little clinical evidence to prove that aloe vera cures stretch marks, it us an excellent natural healing agent and skin softener.
Pigmentation occurs due to the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. This usually fades away as your hormone levels return to normal, after delivery. Here are some beauty tips and home remedies that can help reduce post pregnancy pigmentation.
- Make a paste of turmeric powder with milk and lime juice has been added. Apply onto the affected area and wash off after 5-10 minutes.
- Apply aloe vera gel onto the affected area for 10-15 minutes. Do this daily to get quick results.
- Potato is a very effective skin lightening agent. Mix grated potato with a little lime juice and apply onto the skin.
- Tomato has excellent bleaching properties and can be used to lighten blemishes.
Dark circles and puffy eyes
There are several causes of dark circles and puffy eyes during and after pregnancy. These include pigmentation, hormonal changes, water retention, lack of exercise and sleep etc.
Here are some quick tips and home remedies that can help cure post pregnancy dark circles and puffy eyes
- Drink lots of water and avoid drinking aerated drinks.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C
- Apply fresh milk cream under eyes and wash after a while.
- Placing cold tea bags under your eyes also
- Get adequate sleep.
- Place slices of cucumber or raw potato slices on eyes.
- Gently massaging the eyes helps improve circulation under the eyes.
Home remedies for skin care after delivery
- Detox water: Water in which a few ajwain/carom seeds have been boiled is often given to women post pregnancy as it aids digestion and also helps clear toxins from the body.
- Coconut oil: Massaging warm coconut oil onto your body will help you relax, improve circulation and help yourbody and skin heal faster.
- Face and Body Scrub: Make a paste of gram flour and water and add a bit of turmeric powder. Use this as a face and body scrub before bath. Turmeric powder has natural healing and antiseptic properties.
Face Packs to lighten skin after pregnancy
Here are a couple of excellent face packs that help lighten the skin. Check the original article for more remedies.
Source: Natural remedies to manage pigmentation during pregnancy | TheIndianExpress
1. Papaya-Aloe-Honey Pack
Papaya helps in lightening dark spots and is very effective in treating skin pigmentation. Using a face pack which consists of papaya helps in reducing pigmentation. Take 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp papaya, and 1 tbsp aloe vera pulp and mix to make a pack. Apply it on affected areas and wash it off after 30 minutes. This mask will not only treat pigmentation but also helps in breaking down dead cells.
2. Oatmeal & Tomato Mask
Oatmeal is known to be a good exfoliating agent and tomato has natural bleaching properties. Take 2tbsp oatmeal, ½ tbsp tomato juice, and 1 tbsp yogurt and mix well. Apply this mask and leave it for 15-20 minutes, wash with cold water for blemish-free skin.
3. Turmeric and gram flour mask
Make a mixture of 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan), 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice and 3 tablespoons of milk cream. (If you have oily skin replace the milk cream with milk or water) Massage the cream gently onto your face in small circular motions for a few minutes and end by applying an even layer of the cream onto your face. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then wash it off. Do this regularly until you notice a difference.
For more turmeric based masks check out my post, 8 effective homemade beauty recipes using Turmeric.
Remember, the key to looking beautiful and having a healthy and glowing skin is to take care of yourself, be happy and stress free. Taking care of yourself is not selfish. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else. So, relax and enjoy your life as a new mom. Give your body time to recover, eat healthy and don’t be in a hurry to get back to normal activities too soon.
Do you have any beauty tips or home remedies that have helped you with your post pregnancy skin troubles? Do share them with us in the comments.
FREE: NO SCHOOL DAILY SCHEDULE
Are the kids home for longer than expected?
Have schools been cancelled?
Here is a daily “No School Schedule” to help you stay sane and productive right now!
+Plus a list of indoor activities to keep your kids busy.
3 thoughts on “Post Pregnancy Beauty Tips for New Moms”