What is the point of scrapbooking?
The main reason you would want to scrapbook is to preserve your memories for future generations. Another reason is the creative aspect of it. It lets you release some of your creative juices in a fun and relaxing way.
It’s a great way to keep all that memorabilia that you have collected on a summer vacation, with photos of the family, and stories of all the fun times on the vacation, so you and future generations will remember.
Why is scrapbooking important?
Saving pieces of our lives, the good times, and the bad times is what is all about. Future generations will treasure these photos, stories, and glimpses into your life forever.
Scrapbooking helps you to document those years, birthdays, Holidays, babies, weddings, and so many more events. By scrapbooking those events, you will be able to relive those times with the same feelings you had through each event.
By scrapbooking, you are giving a gift to your family. You are preserving your memories, and theirs as you travel through life together. We all have a treasured photo album of our Grandparents or Parents. This someday might be your album you create. Keep in mind the reason you are creating this scrapbook and for who you are making it for.
What is digital scrapbooking?
We have all walked through those scrapbooking aisles and seen some many great products. There is nothing wrong with paper scrapping. But, it can get pricey if you are on a budget. And just like everything, trends come and go. Will you keep up with those trends?
The great thing about Digital Scrapbooking is that you really don’t need too many items. And the supplies that you do purchase can be used again and again on multiple layouts. You can recolor them, resize them, add or delete from them.
Digital Scrapbooking is described as the creation of a new 2D artwork by re-combining various graphic elements.
You use your computer, a scanner or photos on your computer, and software to create a digital scrapbook page. You can purchase individual paper, embellishments, letters, wordart, templates or purchase everything in one big kit.
What is a digital scrapbooking kit?
A digital scrapbooking kit includes everything you need to decorate and design your scrapbook page. Each scrapbooking kit usually is themed and color-coordinated. The kits will typically include solid papers, patterned papers, embellishments, letters, wordart and sometimes quick pages or templates.
All of the files that come with a kit can be recolored, resized, flipped, rotated, enlarged and used again and again. Digital kits make scrapbooking quick, easy and inspiring.
You can find digital scrapbooking supplies all over the internet. Some are free and some you will purchase. I have included a small digital scrapbooking kit, free for you to try.
What is the best digital scrapbooking software?
- Adobe Photoshop Element– Although this isn’t technically a digital scrapbooking software program it is one of the top digital scrapbooking software. With Photoshop Elements you can add shadows, bend, twist, flip and recolor all your graphics. This is an image editor so it will not include digital scrapbooking graphics. But, you can purchase very easily on the web. It does have a bit of a learning curve for the beginners.
- My Memories– Offers hundreds of template, embellishments, and papers and is easy enough for the beginner to create beautiful pages.
- Memory Mixer– You can get a variety of kits that are included with this software as well as the option of purchasing additional kits through the software. It is very easy to learn and at a great price
- Gimp– This is Free and Open Source software, which means anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study and change the software in any way. This is an image editor similar to Photoshop Elements as it does not include the digital scrapbooking graphics. But, you can find those in many stores or do a quick Google search for Free Digital Scrapbooking Graphics to find some free ones to try out.
- Befunky– Is your all-in-one creative solution to any of your photo editing, collage making, and graphic design problems. This is very easy to learn and you will be creating digital scrapbook pages quickly and easily with this software. You will find limited designs included, but you have the option of upgrading and receive thousands of designs and graphics.
Here are a few tips for you to get started preserving those memories through Digital Scrapbooking.
- Do some research– If you are new to scrapbooking, or digital scrapbooking, you might not know what style you like yet? So, a quick search on Pinterest and you will find a ton of different digital scrapbook design ideas.
- Choose your Digital Scrapbook Kit– Decide what theme and colors you would like to work with first. Maybe you find a kit that you just have to have! Grab it and start playing around with the elements.
- Start with the free templates-To make it easier, search for some free digital scrapbooking templates. They help take the guesswork out of designing and figuring out where to place photos, embellishments, and titles. And they can really save you loads of time.
- Save your work-No matter which program you use, always periodically save your work. You don’t want to be working for hours on a page, only to have a computer glitch or the electric goes off for some reason. Save the frustration and save your work!
Why not try your hand at Digital Scrapbooking your family’s photos and special memories, to preserve them for lifetimes to come. I created a Digital Scrapbooking Kit for you called, Strength that you are welcome to use for your personal use. You are welcome to sign up for the download here.
Hello, My name is Wendy and I blog at Managers of the Home. I am a Homeschooling, Dairy Farming Mom of 8 kids. My husband and I have been married for 33 years and enjoy our big, loud and crazy family.
FREE: NO SCHOOL DAILY SCHEDULE
Are the kids home for longer than expected?
Have schools been cancelled?
Here is a daily “No School Schedule” to help you stay sane and productive right now!
+Plus a list of indoor activities to keep your kids busy.